May 24, 2011

Small Figures: Miriam

I can use this small figure to talk a little about the technique that governs most of my drawing and painting process.

1. I start by outlining the contour of the figure and blocking in the shadow shapes.

2. Then I fill in the shadow with one to two values keeping them low in contrast to each other. This drawing is only taken this far.

3. The next step that would come after this drawing would be to start turning or rounding the forms away from the shadows.

More step would follow for a completed drawing, but they will be hard to describe by just looking at this particular figure drawing. So I will save them for another post.

Miriam Sketch

I have dozens of small figure drawings that I did while studying at the New School of Classical Art in Providence. The head instructor of the school was Dana Levin, whose work is pretty fantastic, check out her website if you get a chance (http://danalevin.com/). I plan to highlight each of these small figures individually writing about the process involved and give people insight into the models' lives as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment